16 October 2008

K5S - East Ship Island, MS Activation

This afternoon while dialing through the 40m band, I happened upon the station K5S calling CQ on 7.243 LSB. Hearing a 1x1 callsign, I answered his CQ passing and receiving a 59 signal report. After I made my contact with the station, it immediately became apparent that he had a good sized pileup.

I had not yet had the chance to look them up when K5S announced that they were a special event station activating East Ship Island, MS. The further explained that this was the first time that East Ship Island had been activated. The island has the IOTA number NA-082, US Island Number MS009S, and Lighthouse number USA-756.

For more information, take a look at their website: http://www.k5s-na082.com/

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net