10 June 2009

Helping Get the KJ4GGV D-Star Gateway Back on the Air

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the WVAN tower in Pembroke with Bob, KI4YRY, Larry, W4RA, and Guy, K4GTM as they were trying to get the KJ4GGV D-Star repeater Gateway working.

After Guy worked on the router configuration, he found out that for reason still unknown his mobile D-Star radio would not power up. Unable to resolve the power issue, we decided to try testing the configuration with my IC-91AD. I've never worked through a gateway before and I've not done much D-Star work because I'm not within portable range of the repeater so I wasn't quite sure how to configure the D-Star settings. Bob got John Davis, WB4QDX on the phone and he walked me through how to set up the 91AD for the gateway. Once all was programmed, we gave it a try and things worked just fine.

Now that I understand the gateway configuration and how it works, I've programmed it into the IC-91AD. I also found out that I need to register my callsign with the D-Star network; I began the registration process last night after getting home from the ARCS Meeting.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net