29 June 2009

Field Day 2009

This year, I operated Field Day from the Coastal Amateur Radio Society Field Day and from home. I intended to operate from the Amateur Radio Club of Savannah Field Day, but never got around to operating after I got there. I talked with one of my "elmers," Ed Woodson, NC5S who I hadn't seen in probably a year and Stacy Aaron, WA4IDS for a couple of hours.

Unfortunately, 6 Meters didn't open up very much or very well while I was at the radios during Field Day. HF propagation didn't seem to be all that good either.

At CARS, I operated some some 20-Meters and 40-Meters during the "Midnight Shift" but mostly worked some 15-Meters Saturday afternoon. On both bands, most of the propagation seemed to favor the northeast, although I did work a few stations in Texas and Louisiana on 15 Meters.

For the first time (mostly because this is the first Field Day I've had HF privileges) I worked Field Day from home as a 1E station. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I missed the beginning of field day this year and wasn't able to start until late afternoon. A couple of hours before going over to the CARS Field Day was my 1E operating time. 6-Meter and 80-Meter propagation was very poor at the time with no contacts on either band. 10-Meters was also poor, but I did make one contact on that band. 20, 40, and 15-Meters were decent and most of my contacts were made there:

10-Meters
W1UR - 2A NH

20-Meters
K5ENS - 1D LA
W4AVA - 3A VA
W3AO - 20A MDC (National Press Radio Club)
W2EA - 6A SNJ
KB8UHN - 1E OH
K1R - 5A NH
WA3COM - 4A PA

15-Meters
KW2O - 2A NLI
K1BKE - 4A NH
W1AW - 3F CT (ARRL HQ Station)
W1TJL - 1E CT
VE3WE - 8A ON

40-Meters
W6SAI - 1E AL
W4TRC - 2A TN
K4F - 2A NFL
W4V - 3D AL
W4UD - 3A TN
KJ4LEL - 2D AL
W4DW - 7A NC
K4BFT - 4A AL
N4UED - 1E NC
W2CB - 3A SFL
W4LX - 4A SFL

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net