29 August 2009

Monitoring the Shuttle Discovery Launch

I had fun monitoring the Space Shuttle Discovery Launch last night. While the scrubs and delays disappointed many, they did allow me to be able to monitor the launch. I was working the 7-3 shift all week and wasn't able to stay up to listen until last night!

A number of us utilized the Internet and amateur radio to monitor and watch last night's launch, enhancing the experience. I started off the evening by getting updated on developments with Al Stern in Satellite Beach via instant message. After Al got me up to speed, I coordinated monitoring efforts with Dan - KF4MND, Robert - KJ4HAL, and Guy, K4GTM via various IM and social networking applications. Being out of range of the VHF and UHF traffic we mostly were keeping up with the launch via NASA TV and the Booster Recovery Net on 7.833 USB. Not long after, Kevin - KW4B made his way out to Tybee Island to watch the launch; several of us talked to Kevin on the 146.700 repeater as Guy tried to patch in NASA audio via Echolink. For some unknown reason that attempt was unsuccessful, but later Dan was able to transmit audio from NASA TV into the 147.330 repeater, which Kevin was better able to hear from Tybee Island.

Once it was close to launch time, I pushed audio from the shuttle air-to-ground frequency, 259.700, to my UStream feed (linked on this blog), posting it on the Scan Savannah group and passing it on to the others I was monitoring with last night. I received good, strong signals from Discovery last night on 259.700; it picked up at the "2 Engine Moron" call and ended with the "Press to MECO" call.

Mac McCormick III
KF4LMT