27 January 2009

Good Sunday on the Radio and 6 Meter E-Skip

I worked amateur radio a good bit on Sunday while watching the 24 Hours of Daytona and after the 24 Hours and it was a good day on the radios. I started out the day by checking in to the Georgia Cracker Net on 80 Meters and the South CARS Net on 40 Meters. Later in the day, I checked into the GA Baptist Hams net and the GA ARES Net on 80 Meters. After working a couple of Winter Field Day stations, I worked the National Electronics Museum special event station on 20 and 40 meters. For DX, there was Cuba and Puerto Rico on 20 Meters and Mexico on 6 Meters. To cap the day off, I worked Alaska twice on 20 Meters for my first Alaska contacts!

From Saturday evening through yesterday evening, 6 Meters was with Sporadic E propagation. I worked Mexico, Ontario, Quebec, Iowa, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Vermont while picking up 3 new grids: DL99, EN80, and EN21.

Unfortunately, the E-Skip seemed to peter out towards last night. I heard very little around 2100 local, which is the time for the Southeast GA 6 Meter Ragchew Net; it would have been great to have had a little bit of DX for the net.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net