20 June 2008

Severe Storms Hammer the East Side of Savannah and Chatham County

Thursday afternoon I was enjoying some quality monitoring time on my day off. The return of the the VMFA-312 "Checks" to the air and some JSTARS activity nearby was making for an interesting monitoring day. Shortly after 1400 local I began hearing thunder to the north, so I checked the weather radar; a storm was brewing up around the Georgia/South Carolina border near the Port Wentworth area. Even though the storm didn't seem to have much motion on the radar, I went ahead and disconnected my gear to prevent lightning damage. No worries, I sat down with the latest issue of Road and Track magazine (there are two wonderful Sam Posey articles this month, check out my motorsports blog soon on those!) to wait for the delivery of the AT-897 tuner and MFJ 1764 antenna I ordered earlier this week.

When UPS delivered the package around 1500, I noticed that the skies here in east Savannah were darkening and a few minutes later it began sprinkling. It was almost time to go to Rincon to pick up my nephew from his father's house, so I began getting ready to go. As we left the house, the tornado warning sirens began going off so we checked 162.400, the local NOAA weather radio station, and heard the first Tornado Warning going off. As we drove out of town, I locked the 2-meter radio in my father's truck on the 146.970 repeater, reporting hail we encountered at I-516 and the Southwest Bypass over the repeater and via cell phone to the National Weather Service in Charleston. It was raining so hard while I was reporting the hail, that I couldn't understand much of what the NWS were saying on the other end!

As we drove west out of Savannah, the weather cleared and improved but it rapidly became apparent from traffic we were monitoring on our scanners and from what other amateurs were reporting on the repeater that the areas around Sandfly, Whitfield Avenue, and Ferguson Avenue had taken a hard hit from the storm, possibly even from a tornado (although I haven't seen this confirmed by the news or the NWS yet). Kurt, N4CVF, was reporting numerous trees down and road blockage on Ferguson as he tried to make his way home; Southside Fire's Montgomery Division radio traffic supported Kurt's observations. They were working a multitude of downed trees, power lines, and vehicle crashes. Guy, K4GTM, reported traffic backups, trees down, and serious damage as he approached his home in the Sandfly area. Luckily, Guy's home avoided serious damage but his neighbor was not so lucky. Their house was comprehensively damaged by falling trees. Traffic from Southside Fire and Isle of Hope Fire further indicated more damage along Whitfield and farther along Skidaway towards Isle of Hope. Likewise, Thunderbolt Fire was also busy handling calls of trees and power lines down in their city. I later began hearing radio traffic that the county water system on Isle of Hope was out.

We made it back home from Rincon to find the power out. After clearing out debris from the roads in front and alongside the house and from the yard I drove over to Guy's neighborhood to see if I could lend a hand. By the time I got there, the neighborhood had put out an all hands effort to clear the roads and were working to remove a tree from the neighbor's house with a John Deere tractor and chainsaws. The Red Cross was en route with food, water, and other assistance, so at that point there was not much I could do. I spoke with Guy and Bill, K4WP, for a few minutes, offering any assistance that they might need; I then returned home so that I and the car wouldn't be in the way of equipment that would be needed to remove all of the debris.

By this time, ARES and Red Cross volunteers had begun using the 146.970 repeater for assessment, relief, and recovery operations. K3SRC, the Red Cross ham station along with K4SDJ, Steve, W4SWJ, Susanne, and others were on the air coordinating the response. On my way home, I reported some traffic bottlenecks on Skidaway to K3SRC and let them know that one of their units was almost to their staging area at the Piggly Wiggly on Skidaway. After checking in with work to make sure I wasn't needed, I monitored the 146.970 and began to hear about some of the damage. In addition to what I had witnessed in Guy's neighborhood, there were also heavily damaged mobile homes in some of the mobile home parks in the Whitfield area. Luckily, I heard no reports of injuries from any of the damaged homes. Hopefully that will be the case across the affected area.

Throughout the entire time I was monitoring, I was proud to hear how hams were reacting to the aftermath of the storm. I can't remember all of those I heard offering assistance but N4RVM and WD8LUL were two that immediately jump to mind. There were offers to help clear the trees, offers to help the neighbors, and offers of batteries and other equipment to help keep Guy on the air.

It is impossible to include a comprehensive list of what I all I was listening to during the afternoon, because often I wasn't looking at the radio display. I was paying more attention to the weather and to the amateur radio traffic. That said, here is a certainly incomplete listing of active talkgroups. You'll quickly note that I was mostly monitoring the fire departments to keep up with tree/power situations.

Fort Stewart/Hunter AAF TRS
TG 3504 - Hunter AAF Crash/Fire

Chatham/Effingham TRS
TG 3568 - Metro Fire Dispatch (and associated Tac TGs)
TG 3824 - Southside Fire Dispatch (and associated Division TGs)
TG 4880 - Thunderbolt FD
TG 5040 - Garden City FD
TG 5424 - Pooler FD
TG 5456 - Pooler FD
TG 6224 - CEMA 1
TG 6640 - ANG/Savannah IAP Crash/Fire
TG 7760 - Isle of Hope FD
TG 36880 - Savannah Fire Dispatch (and associated Fireground TGs)
TG 36912 - Savannah Fire Admin


Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net