08 June 2008

The 2-Meter SSB Setup Works

Last night while searching for activity related to the exercise going on over at Hunter AAF I noticed that there was a pretty good VHF opening, so I decided to try some 2-Meter SSB work. After listening for a few minutes and hearing no activity, I decided to call CQ.

After calling CQ a couple of times, K4ILT out of Saint George, SC came back to me for my first 2-Meter SSB contact. During the QSO, he mentioned that he was hearing Space Shuttle audio rebroadcast on 144.330, which he believed was coming from the Jacksonville area.

I checked 144.330 as well and found the same shuttle/NASA retransmission coming in at about S2-S3. Web research indicates that it most likely W4YJC out of Macclenny, FL. Searching around a bit, I also found 144.360 active, which should also be W4YJC, this time from Jacksonville, FL.