17 December 2006

FCC Ends CW (Morse Code) Testing for Amateur Radio Licensing

Thanks to Chris Corley, KI4JPG for this link:

http://www.arrl.org:80/news/stories/2005/07/20/100/?nc=1

Yesterday, the ARRL reported that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has decided to end the CW requirement in amateur radio testing. Additionally, the FCC will give Technician Plus privileges to Technician class licensees in order to equalize the two license classes.

At this point, I will pass this on without much comment. All I'll say right now is that I'm not sure that this is such a good idea. Before you jump to any conclusions, consider that I am a "no code" Tech licensee. I'll consider this change some more and maybe opine on it after some more thought.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net