21 April 2010

Not a Bad Day on the Radios

Location: Savannah, GA

April has been a slow military monitoring month for me. First, I've not had as many chances to play radio as I'd like and it seems that when I have had the chances there hasn't been much to hear. Today I've had the opportunity and it's been pretty fun. Overcast skies have kept down Townsend Range activity, but W-157 has been pretty busy with activity from MCAS Beaufort F/A-18s. A couple of flights have also gone to the Bulldog MOA.

I've also played around with ID Tracker on one of the BC-780s to do some recording. I'll be leaving out shortly to do some volunteer work on the B-17 at the Mighty Eighth Air Force museum and I'm going to let ID Tracker run on the 780 with the SUA and Range frequencies in it to see what I miss while I'm gone.

Another one of the new USCG frequencies has been active this morning as well. CG 107 (150.300) has been active with encrypted digital activity. So far there hasn't been any clear traffic, so I've got no idea who is using it or where it is coming from.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT