15 March 2010

Glynn County Train Trestle Fire

Location: Brunswick

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22845148/detail.html

I woke up this afternoon, turned on the radios and the first thing I heard was Glynn County FD F2 active with what sounded like a brush fire involving railroad cars. After a bit, I figured out that the incident was at Georgia Ports; I had to run out and do a few things anyway, so I drove down to US 17 near the ports and saw that the fire was a Train Trestle at Colonel's Island and some train cars on fire. It appeared that the flames were knocked down, but there was still a good bit of smoke. Glynn County FD was on scene and some Camden County units responded for mutual aid. Georgia Ports and Railroad representatives were also on scene. It looks like the integrity of the trestle and condition of the rails could be issues.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT