05 March 2010

Brunswick Monitoring Post

I'm limited in what I can do for a monitoring post when I stay in Brunswick, but I've managed to get a good small setup going. I'm using a BC-396 with a RadioShack mag mount scanner antenna for MilAir, Aviation, and various conventional communications. A PRO-95 with a RadioShack 800 MHz scanner antenna scans the Glynn County TRS. I also have have a Yaesu VX-7R with me, so that can always double as a conventional scanner. For a portable setup, it is working rather well.

The nature of the construction of this building (metal studs, metal roof, etc) prevents good reception of VHF inside, but I've noticed that I've been getting OK reception of Townsend Range. The 800 MHz signals get through OK as well. VHF is the main problem, as I have trouble getting local amateur repeaters and the Glynn FD repeater from inside; the surrounding counties' VHF repeaters are obviously a no-go as well.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT