01 February 2010

This afternoon I decided to test out a way to get on the air on the HF bands from Brunswick. The idea is to use the FT-897D and Hamstick vertical antennas. I propped the FT-897D up on the dash of the car, powered by my marine deep cycle battery (which I placed behind the passenger seat). I placed a mag-mount on the roof of the car and tried out 40, 20, and 15 Meter hamsticks. The LDG AT-897 tuner tuned everything just fine and I was even able to make a contact with PJ2/K8ND in Curacao while testing 20 Meters! No doubt this will make a usable portable setup for operating HF while I'm at work in Brunswick.

The next phase of the project will be acquiring an 80 Meter and 6 Meter hamstick. I'd like to be able to check in to the ARES, Georgia Traffic, Georgia Traffic, and South CARS nets on 80 Meters and that will require 80 Meter capability. Anyone who follows this blog knows I'll have to have 6 Meter capability, especially when the Summer Es are rolling.

Anyway, keep an ear out for KF4LMT on the HF bands a little more often in the future.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT