01 February 2010

6 Meter Band Opening - 31 January 2010

Yesterday afternoon Russ, K4YGD was kind enough to call me and let me know about a 6 Meter band opening. I spent much of the morning and afternoon getting Groundwaves, the Coastal Amateur Radio Society Newsletter finished and sending it out to club members, so I hadn't had radios on to know it was open. Following Russ' call, I cranked up the FT-897D and hooked it up to the triband vertical to see what was going on. Straight away, I made contacts to New York, Ontario, and Quebec. After supper, before sitting down to watch the Pro Bowl, I checked 6 Meters again and found it open to the West and Midwest, working Illinois, Missouri, and Texas.

I don't have a 6 Meters setup down in Brunswick yet, so it was good to hear some Winter Es on one of my days off while I'm here in Savannah. Before the Summer E season cranks up I'm definitely going to have to get something setup for 6 in Brunswick.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT