04 November 2009

Situation Report

I've almost settled into living into two places. Most of time is being spent in Brunswick, GA with a couple of days a week in Savannah, GA. I'm settling into a routine in Brunswick and I've finally had the time to play a bit of radio. I'm not set up well for Amateur Radio yet, just some portables and the mobile for VHF/UHF; I'm still waiting a bit to set up something for HF operations. Scanning on the other hand, has been progressing well.

I'm unable to run outside antennas where I'm at in Brunswick, so I use a Radio Shack mag mount scanner antenna on top of a DVD rack. At first I attempted to use a Uniden BC796 as the radio, but it's reception left much to be desired. I now connect the antenna to my Uniden BC396 portable with much better results. In addition to the obvious public safety on the Glynn Co. 800 system I've been able to monitor Townsend Range with ease from inside as well as the FLETC TRS, Glynco Jetport, Malcom McKinnon Airport, and the Jacksonville Center Brunswick and Jekyll low sites. While taking my afternoon walks, I can easily hear the above as well as some of the SEALORD SUAs off of the Georgia coast with the BC396 using a Diamond RH77CA antenna.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT