18 November 2009

Blog Admin Stuff

I'm still wrapping my mind around keeping the blog up now that I'm splitting time between Savannah and Brunswick. I think I've pretty much come up with a plan on how to keep up with it while throwing in some new wrinkles at the same time:
  1. When blogging from the Blackberry, I'll be appending the posts with "Portable from Brunswick, GA." These posts will naturally be short and may not contain a lot of detailed information. These will generally be brief updates or timely heads-up posts. Many times, I'll post more detailed information later when I'm around a computer. The more detailed postings may take a few days to show up, but they will show up.
  2. Non-Blackberry posts will usually be prefaced with my location, so you'll know whether I'm in Savannah or Brunswick, identifying where the information in the post is relevant to. This won't apply to the monthly recap posts; they will contain information from Savannah, Brunswick, and my trips between the two.
  3. I have been making increased use of Twitter, which updates on the sidebar to this blog. This enables me to make quick and easy short reports while playing radio. I have found that sending tweets from the Blackberry is both quicker and easier than trying to send a post by email. I'll continue to send posts to email groups, but this blog will get quick updates via Twitter. I'm using UberTwitter to post tweets from the Blackberry and it allows me to append my location to tweets. On some tweets I'll be including my location, which will show up as a link at the end of the tweet, to give folks an idea of where I'm hearing the activity from. Due to the setting I'm using in UberTwitter, the location will not be specific, it will be the location of the cell tower that the phone is working through (this general location is more than adequate for the purpose, however).

As far as the monthly recap posts go, look for them to resume at the beginning of December with a November recap. I've been able to play radio a bit more lately so I'm actually getting stuff to do a recap with! Things are looking up for radio time and the more active I am on the radio, the more active this blog will be. Things have been pretty slow the last few months, but I don't think they'll be that way long.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT