17 July 2009

CPR/First Aid for ARES Responders?

While reading the ARRL ARES E-letter this month, I came across the following letter from a reader. On the surface, it is an excellent idea but once you scratch the surface, a couple of problems appear. While it may be something that ARES volunteers want to pursue on their own initiative, I can't agree with CPR and First Aid certification being required for membership.

I have been an ARES/RACES member for a number of years and have also served as Washington ARMY MARS state emergency director. My question is, why isn't there a requirement that all ARES members have a current card showing that they have had CPR and Basic First Aid? I for one do not want to be dispatched with another member that has not met these requirements. If and when I have the Big One out there I sure want someone to be able to thump and pump.

I really have to disagree with this writer for two reasons: What are we here for, and Should we be here.
  1. What are we here for? We are communicators not medics or EMTs. While having the CPR or first aid certification would be nice, it should not be a requirement to be an ARES operator. We have to remember that we are a volunteer organization. If we begin REQUIRING members to have this certification and that certification, pretty soon we'll not have very many members at all. The more certifications you require, the more restrictive you are and the result is that you'll have more trouble finding volunteers. Is CPR and first aid certification essential to our job as communicators? The answer in my opinion is a definitive no, therefore those certification should not be required of ARES volunteers.
  2. Should we be here? This writer states "If and when I have the Big One out there..." This indicates that he expects to have a heart attack. If he has such a problem, should he be there in the first place? If someone has a heart condition, an ARES posting has the potential to be a stressful situation; that stress could lead to what my doctor referred to as "an event." It's not that you don't want the volunteer (see number 1!) but utilizing someone with such a health condition can make an already bad situation even worse. If I were a leader, and I posted someone with a condition and he had a heart attack on that post, I would feel responsible and probably wouldn't be able to forgive myself if the worst happened.

If an ARES volunteer has a health condition like heart disease, it is the duty of that volunteer to be careful in what he volunteers for. The EC must also take the volunteer's health into consideration. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, both of which are currently under control with medicine and diet. Were my conditions not under control, I would not volunteer for some ARES postings, especially a more physically demanding posting or a higher stress NCS duty.


Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net