23 July 2009

Tri-Band HT Antenna

I have been disappointed with the MFJ-1720S 6m/2m/70cm antenna that I purchased not long after I purchased my Yaesu VX-7R handheld. Compared to what I consider to be the gold standard for HT antennas – the Diamond SRH77CA (2m/70cm) – it has performed poorly. I recently ordered a Maldol MH-510 6m/2m/70cm antenna, which arrived via UPS this afternoon. Throughout the evening, I conducted some tests to compare the SRH77CA and the MH-510.

I have always been able to hit the 442.700 repeater with an HT and the SRH77CA; this evening I was able to carry on a QSO with Bob, W4WTO on the 442.700 with no problems whatsoever. I had good copy on the repeater and Bob gave me a good report into the repeater. During this evening's 2m Savannah Simplex Net I was able to switch back and forth between the SRH77CA and the MH-510 to compare signals. There was little to no difference between the two antennas when comparing received signals. Guy, K4GTM was net control for the Savannah Simplex Net; he gave me a signal report of an S5 for the MH-510 and S4 on the SRH77CA. A single S-unit difference is not bad at all.

The MH-510 seems to perform much better than the MFJ-1720S. The 510's one drawback is length; it measures in at over 20 inches long. That said, I rarely carry it on my belt. It usually hitches a ride in a pocket on my pack, so the length shouldn't be a major issue. I'm going to carry the VX-7R with the MH-510 for awhile and get a better idea of how well it works. I also plan on testing it on the BC-396 scanner to find out how well it would work in that guise.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT

kf4lmt@comcast.net