17 February 2009

Is it Time to Change How Amateur Radio Operators Handle Traffic?

John Kasupski, KC2HMZ wrote an interesting column in the March 2009 issue of Popular Communications. In "NIMS and EmComm Message Handling" (pg. 54) he takes a look at Amateur Radio traffic handling in regards to the National Incident Management System. I strongly suggest taking a look at John's thought provoking column, as he brings up some good points.

Prime among John's suggestions is that we as Hams switch from using the ARRL Radiogram to the standard NIMS ICS-213 form.

I do not claim to be an expert on the National Traffic System nor do I claim to be an expert on amateur radio message handling. To be honest, I am far from it. On the other hand, I do work in emergency communications. In my opinion this is something we as Hams need to look at and perhaps reconsider how we do things so that we better fit into the broader framework of emergency communications.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net