26 December 2008

Echolink

This day after Christmas, I went out and picked up a microphone headset for the computer and installed Echolink on the computer. After making some adjustments to the wireless router, I was able to get the software up and running. I connected to Dan Scott, KF4MND's node to try out and things were working good except for low transmit audio. After a bit, I found a microphone boost setting in the computer's audio settings; after turning it on Dan gave me a good audio report.

The microphone headset I bought is a Plantronics from Staples. I've tried it on the radios just as headphones and it works good as just a headset as well.

For the time being, I'm just running Echolink via the computer. Once I get a soundcard interface for the radio, I'll start running a temporary Echolink node at times. Hopefull that will develop over the next couple of months.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
Savannah, GA