14 September 2008

LifeStar and Omni Flight

Over the last few weekends, I've noticed something interesting on the repeater used by LifeStar One, the medevac helicopter at Memorial Hospital here in Savannah, GA. During the weekends, I've been hearing LifeStar working their communications through OMNI FLIGHT on the 462.975 repeater instead of LIFE STAR BASE.

My educated guess is that OMNI FLIGHT is the Omni Flight Communications center in Kennesaw, GA. It sounds like they are probably routing communications through that comm center via a Motobridge.

I've also been hearing other medevac helicopters (which I've not ID'd yet) over the repeater as well on missions that have nothing to do with Memorial. Band conditions at the times weren't conducive to UHF skip either. I am guessing that the traffic from these other helicopters is also coming across the Motobridge I mentioned above.

I've sent a post to the Scan Savannah and Scan Atlanta yahoo groups, so hopefully more will come of this. It will definitely be interesting to follow and see where it goes.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net