24 June 2007

Amateur Radio Club of Savannah Field Day 2007, Part II

Making an appearance at Field Day were some military radios, both current and past. It was interesting to be able to compare and contrast the amateur and military equipment and get to hear the current military equipment operate.




Former Military HF Radio operated by Philip, KA4KOE




Military VHF/UHF radio




Military HF Radio



Unusual for me, I did operate some HF this year, covering 20-meter USB while some of the more HF-oriented operators took a break. To prove it, someone took this photo (if it doesn't break Blogger's servers... It didn't break the camera...):


I tried several times to work 6-meters this year, but it just never seemed that propagation would cooperate with us. I always enjoy working 6-meters, but sometimes luck just isn't with us. All in all, though, I think good fun was had by all. We may have not made the most contacts, but we had a good variety of equipment, from older military and amateur gear to the latest and greatest gear. We also had a good variety of antennas up, including verticals, wire antennas, trap dipoles, and a NVIS antenna. I can also say that there was good fellowship with fellow hams; there was a good group assembled for dinner and a small but solid core of operators throughout Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and afternoon.

As always, you can find things that need improvement. Next year, I think we need to be more serious about operating through the night (and I include myself in that assessment). I would also like to see more "elmering" going on during field day. It should not just be left up to newer hams to ask for advice and suggestions, but the more experienced hams should offer it. When I was first licensed, I was thankful for the operating tips, advice, and impromptu lessons from experienced operators.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net