08 February 2007

Skywarn Net Revisited

I managed to check in to the Skywarn Net on the 146.970 repeater Tuesday night by using the crossband repeater function on my FT-8800. I was great to hear 11 check-ins and hear the enthusiasm they had for developing Skywarn in the area. Before I became frustrated and inactive several years back I had been trying to do the same and even organized some Skywarn classes in the Savannah area, so it was good to hear some hams were still interested in it and that there were others and new hams that were interested in the program. I have volunteered my services as a net control operator and look forward to being able to call some of the nets in the future. It is wonderful to see people enthusiastic about doing something and not just generating numbers to inflate egos. It is encouraging to me, as a ham who was inactive out of frustration over apathy, to see that someone is actually DOING something as I get more active.

If you are already a registered Skywarn spotter, I encourage you to check into the nets on Tuesdays. Right now they are on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 9pm, but when Hurricane Season arrives, they will move to every Tuesdsay. If you aren't trained and registered, but are interested in getting trained, send me an email and I'll forward it to those trying to put together the classes.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net