20 January 2007

Benny Parsons, 1941-2007

I don't remember much of Benny Parsons as a driver; I was just getting old enough to be interested in racing as his career was winding down. Like many, though, I saw a great deal
of him as a broadcaster; one of my favorite NASCAR broadcast teams was Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett, and Benny Parsons. Parsons was great at explaining what could be something complex mechanically so that the average viewer could understand it. His personality was perfect for broadcasting; watching Benny Parsons as an analyst was like watching a race with a friend who was a stock car racing expert. When TNT's race coverage rolls around this season, it just won't be the same without hearing his voice. There will certainly be a void in the broadcast booth.

I have no doubt in my mind that Benny Parson's work with ESPN for many years helped grow the sport of stock car racing and of NASCAR in particular. I can only hope that NASCAR can find a way throughout this season to recognize his contributions to the sport not only as a driver but as a broadcaster. Would they be where they are now if it weren't for the enthusiastic and knowledgeable work of "Buffet Benny" (anyone else remember those spots on where to eat at or near the tracks!)?

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net