09 May 2010

Beachside DX from Jekyll Island

Location: Jekyll Island, GA

What a great afternoon on the radio! I woke up around 3:30 PM this afternoon and headed out to get some early dinner: fried shrimp and clams from Jinrights in Brunswick. After eating, I headed out to Jekyll Island and took up a spot at one of the parking areas along North Beachview to operate the mobile/portable amateur radio station for awhile. I took advantage of the cooler weather today: the temperature was 74 F and the skies clear and blue.


I worked a few stations on 20 Meters before giving the station a test on 80 Meters by checking into the weekly Georgia ARES Net on 3.975:
  • 9A5BS, Felix in Zagreb, Croatia
  • OP2A, Ivo in Brussels, Belgium
  • GM3UEG, Dave on Orkney Island, Scotland
I got a good signal report from Charles, K4GK, net control for the ARES net when I checked in and I heard K4GTM - Guy, KD4PDX - Mark, KB4GNX - Bob, and KI4TYO - Ken from Chatham and Effingham Counties at good levels, I suspect we could have worked each other. I think the HVT400B would work OK for ARES use if the need be.

After the net, I worked some more DX on 15, 17, and 20 Meters. I used the LDG897 tuner to tune the HVT400B's 15 Meter setting for 17 Meters and it worked good enough to make contacts with.
  • YV5ZV, Victor in Venzuela on 15 Meters
  • F6IGS, Gerry in France on 17 Meters
  • FM5DN, Leon in Martinique on 17 Meters
  • GS3PYE, Lawrence on Island of Harris in Scotland on 20 Meters
  • IS0R, a DXpedition on Sardinia (20 Meters)
  • ZW7R, a DXpedition on Restinga Island (Brazil) on 20 Meters

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT