31 May 2009

New USCG Savannah Area Operating Frequency

On Thursday I received word from a reliable source that the Coast Guard was using a new frequency for operations in the Savannah area; it was referred to as "LE ALPHA" but the frequency was unknown. The source also added that helicopter operations would continue to be on Ch. 21 (157.050) as in the past. I haven't had much radio time recently, but this information did prompt me to realize that I haven't heard much traffic on Ch. 21 recently. Friday morning, I had some free time so I set some of the radios on search mode in the federal and military VHF assignments.

In no time at all, I picked up Station Tybee working 25524 on 167.0875 in unencrypted analog FM. After a few more transmissions, Station Tybee identified themselves as transmitting on "LE ALPHA." If you were listening to Station Tybee and Savannah area Coast Guard activity on 157.050, LE ALPHA is definitely one you'll want to program in your scanner.

Mac McCormick III, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net