27 March 2008

FT-897D Added to the Monitoring Post

This afternoon I added a new piece of gear to my shack: a Yaesu FT-897D. The concept is to replace the FT-2600 and DX-394 with a single radio and add the capability to work 2-meter and 6-meter sideband. With delivery of the 897, I now have the radio to do that, all I need to do now is to set myself up with horizontally polarized 2-meter and 6-meter antennas to work sideband with. This radio will also serve as the encouragement to finish studying for my general class exam and get around to taking the test. Not that I plan on working much HF, but it would be nice to have the privileges.


In getting hooked up and testing the radio out, it has become apparent that the time has come to replace the coax for the 2-meter antenna and probably the antenna itself. The coax run is over 10 years old and is probably the cause of my recent decrease in reception. The antenna is a 2-meter hamstick; which I will probably replace with a multiband 6/2/70cm antenna. Also planned is a relocation of the antenna to reduce the length of feedline needed.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net