28 January 2008

Effingham County ARES Mini Field Day, 26 January 2008

Effingham County ARES (ECARES) held a mini field day this past Saturday and the R.B. Park in Springfield, GA. Despite the cold temperatures, I thoroughly enjoyed my short time there (I stopped by a for a couple of hours on my way to work). Todd, NT6H and crew had a nice setup with two HF radios and an Echolink station. Wire antennas such as simple dipoles and a G5RV were in use as was a portable QRP antenna (clamped to a metal grill in a field expedient fashion). The event seemed to make for a good training exercise. Experience was gained working with the equipment in less than ideal weather and conditions. An antenna problem came up that was methodically worked through, providing practical experience in troubleshooting. Doug, KF4EFP was on hand and cooked up a great pot of chili, which helped keep us all warm in the misty, mid-40's weather conditions.










I hope they have another one of these next year. The bands were less congested because it wasn't Field Day, so I think I would have enjoyed working the radios more. I really don't enjoy the congested noise mess that the bands become on Field Day.


Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net