26 November 2007

General Class Upgrade

I've finally decided to upgrade my amateur radio license. I ordered the General Class License manual last week, it arrived in the mail today. I've also downloaded some General Class "podclasses" from www.hamradioclass.org. It may take me awhile to do this, but I'm looking forward to learning from the studying rather than just memorizing test answers. I'll do the same thing I did 10 years ago when I got my Technician license; I'll take my time going chapter by chapter and I'll take the test when I'm satisfied that I've learned the material. I think some folks at the time thought I moved too slow, but that's just the way I do things...

The main reason I've decided to upgrade is that it will help me better justify the purchase of a multi-band radio. I'd like to be able to do some 6-meter and 2-meter all mode work, but I haven't been able to convince myself to buy a multi-band, multi-mode radio without being able to utilize 70% of the radio's transmit range. With a General Class license (whether I actually use the HF portion or not) at least I'll have the option of using it.

Mac McCormick, KF4LMT
kf4lmt@comcast.net