13 April 2007

Oglethorpe Speedway Project: Report 1

After several years of not finding the opportunity to catch a race at Oglethorpe Speedway, I finally made it to a race. It was good to see a race live, taking in the smells of rubber, gasoline, and oil and inhaling the swirling clay dust that gets all over everything in sight. I of course took a radio along (2 actually) as well as the old Sony digital camera. I really wanted to work on my Oglethorpe Speedway monitoring project, so I got there early and started searching using a PRO-92, a stubby antenna, and a good set of headphones.

On this first trip to the track, I concentrated mostly on track frequencies. I found one frequency in use by the track officials, track workers, wreckers, and fire/ems units. If you recall my post about this project in early March, I mentioned a "Raceceiver" system that was supposed to be in use at Oglethorpe; I found it as well. The "Raceceiver" is used by the track officials to talk to the cars during the races. Some of the Pure Stock cars and all of the Street Stock and Late Model cars utilize the system.

461.500 - DCS 026 - Oglethorpe Speedway Park Officials
457.250 - CSQ - Raceceiver

I did do some searching late in the evening and found some frequencies in use by the teams , finding some for the Pure Stock, Street Stock, and Late Model classes. Unfortunately I wasn't able to determine a team on most of the finds.


451.9375 - Pure Stock, unknown team
464.7875 - Pure Stock, unknown team


461.1250 - Street Stock, unknown team
461.7125 - Street Stock, unknown team
463.7125 - Street Stock, Car 11


461.0125 - DCS 565 - Late Model
462.5750 - unknown


I only used one radio at a time tonight, but the die-hard radio hobbyist would best be served at the track by two radios. The first radio would be used to scan the track officials and the "raceceiver" system. The second radio would be used to scan team frequencies and/or search for new frequencies. 461.500 is definitely one you want to keep an ear on as much as possible because the officials' communications tell you exactly what is going on.



Mac McCormick, KF4LMT